Narayana Seva

All of us are fortunate to have daily food, clothing, and a roof over our head. Have you ever thought about the poor, old, homeless, and starving people on the streets? 

Nara Seva is Narayana seva. Service to fellow human, is service to the almighty God. This was said by my Guru Bhagwan Sathya Sai Baba. More importantly he was the finest example in practice. The basic needs of man are access to good food, drinking water, affordable education and medical care. The work of Sathya Sai institutions, in the above 4 areas in building across the country, schools, colleges, basic to super specialty medical institutions, bringing Krishna river water to parched Chennai have stood the test of time and continues to provide immense benefit long after he left his physical presence on earth.

Today August 4th 2024, we celebrated the 15th anniversary of Narayana Seva in Sai Gitanjali, in JP nagar Bangalore. Narayana Seva is the act of serving freshly made, home cooked food ALONG WITH LOVE to the homeless, old, poor and needy fellow humans on the streets. We do this seva (service) for all homeless people irrespective of religion caste creed or color. In Sai Gitanjali, JP nagar Bangalore, we volunteers do this Service (Seva) once a week every Sunday morning.I have been fortunate to have been associated with this service from 2012. Its changed me as a person for life. Hundreds of volunteers and devotees came in for the function. It was heart warming to hear from fellow sai devotees their experiences with swami. Some devotees like Geetha Padmanabhan Mohanram played in the lap of swami as a child. How fortunate. I have not even seen swami once in the physical world but I sense him around me so many times. Just listening to them made me feel, how fortunate we have been to be part of this era, when swami lived with us. I was asked to speak a few words about my experience of Narayana Seva. 

................................................................

Below is the text of the speech I prepared and delivered.

Om sai ram.

Thank Swami for this opportunity to speak on the iccasion of 15th Narayana Seva anniversary at Sai Gitanjali, JP Nagar.

Narayan Seva teaches you 4 things. Humility, Empathy, Kindness and Service.

I will relate few incidents from Narayana Seva and my learnings.

1. Koramangala incident: Wanted to finish Distribution of 20 packs early. Distribution of 19 packets took 25 mins. One last packet took 30 mins. Lesson... Swami decides the place, time and even the people. Only he gives us the opportunity.

2. Masjid near Ayyappan temple incident. I had this doubt if swami is really watching us do seva every week. The next person I gave was a lady. She blessed me after taking prasad and enquired if I was from Chennai in Tamil. Then when I asked where are you from, she said I'm from puttaparthi with a knowing smile. Lesson...Swami is always watching us do seva.

3. Silk board incident. Blind man giving me a puff in return after weeks of service. Lesson.. Love is unconditional, the receiver is the giver.

4. Shirdi Sai temple incident: Old woman taking just bisibele bath, what she wanted and gave back rest of the packet. Lesson...To be content, and say enough, you need not be rich.

BUT, I realise not every one can do Seva.
The people who do Narayana Seva are the chosen ones. Let me explain why? It's a 5 step filtration process.

1. First you need GRACE. You must be chosen by swami.

2. Place: You need to be physically around in this part of Bangalore to serve here. There have been times when I will be traveling and the reminder pop up in my calendar would come and I can't do seva.

3. Time: You need to be willing to give a Sunday morning for this. 

4. Attitude: You must feel happy doing the service. That is preparing the food packing and distribution with humility.

5. Company: Have good people around you. Resources preparing food, packing, bhajans, aarti, car, Distribution etc. Everyone here must be in right company. 

To have above 5 things, Week after week for over 15 years over 750 plus weeks functioning like clock work, is this not divine grace? If we are thinking, we are the doer of the seva it's a mistake. We are not the doer of the seva. We are all just instruments of love, serving under the divine command. 

Wish us all continued grace.

Om Sai Ram.
................................................................


I recently heard in Tokyo, the Japanese people prepare food and distribute every Thursday at 8.00pm to the homeless people on motorcycles. Like wise this is done very quietly in many cities of USA, Europe, Asia etc. week after week. Please check with Sathya Sai org in your country or city to know more or participate. We make a living from what we get, We make a life from what we give.

Love All Serve All.
Om Sai Ram.

Sathya Sai Baba doing Narayana Seva


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cholas - Among worlds greatest dynasties

Madurai - Athens of the East